Sunday, January 22, 2023

LPF12

 


Dreaming about music? I think so. I think writing music is happening in part on a subconscious level. That includes the influence of dreams and memories and experiences from the past. I am usually not writing music for a pre-defined theme - composing for me is a spontaneous act, but I must admit that I prefer the minor scales, which is kind of a scheme I am emotionally obliged to...

Listening is letting go.

My two sons are my most cherished accomplishments.

Music is the second best distraction from this crazy reality.

In the long hiatus I discovered ambient, film scoring and IDM, which still have a huge impact on my sound. Recently I started exploring melodic techno and also a few singer/songwriters.

I started writing music when I was 16, experimenting with the electro/industrial genre. In 1995 I decided to take a break, which lasted 15 years. In 2010 I came back, using modern technology and experimenting with ambient and IDM - and I still do.

I still like my back-catalogue, the 90s-tapes, but they represent the old and harsh LPF12-sound. My sound nowadays is totally different and shows a grown up-version of my project. I feel very comfortable in the ambient genre and I never get tired of finding the right sound for a melancholic or dark soundscape. I became a lover of harmonies and melody over the past years.

LPF12 means Low Pass Filter 12 dB, it's a part of a synth for example. Back then I wanted to use a technical name for my project, but nowadays I would also release under my real name and I'm still thinking about doing so.

I've always recorded my stuff in my creepy cold cellar-studio, but since we're moving soon I have to set it up in a new place, which should be quite exciting. There's surely enough space for new inspirations.

To those about to try music: Write the music only for yourself firstly. When you feel safe with your style: Don't get distracted by the expectations your listeners might have. Surprise yourself by trying out new influences and don't repeat yourself if possible. Write music from your heart and soul.

Technically speaking the VST-technology in combination with old fashioned hardware are my most important musical or artistic discoveries. That really made my comeback in 2010 possible. As a musician nowadays you have endless possibilities to create your sounds and your signature style.


What would you like to try that you have not tried yet?

Learning how to be a better piano-player.

I'd love to meet my musical Idol James Newton Howard and have a look at his studio, maybe writing a cue for a film with him. :)


What is next?

Setting up my new studio and hopefully writing a new album soon. 

LPF12 is a solo-project by German artist Sascha Lemon, founded in 1993, creating Electronica. LPF12 released various albums on Ionium Records, Abstrakt Reflections, Crime League, 7MNS Music and Raumklang Music as well as a number of Bandcamp-only releases.

http://www.lpf12.de/

https://lpf12.bandcamp.com/album/contours-of-stillness

https://igloomag.com/reviews/lpf12-contours-of-stillness



No comments:

Post a Comment