Sunday, August 11, 2019

Steve Layton


Composer, performer, recordist, connector, facilitator. Editor of Sequenza21.com, a long-running website
reporting on contemporary classical music.


Sequenza 21 http://www.sequenza21.com/ “The Contemporary Classical Community”

Collaborator at ImprovFriday/Sound-In, a weekly web gathering of musicians from around the globe.

NiwoSound is an umbrella for innovative art music / art sound.


I met Steve Layton in 1977 at The Evergreen State College, this was the first year that the original
Communications building opened and there was still lots of mud everywhere. I was in the Motion
Picture Production program and he was in a Music program. I was looking for soundtrack materials
and needed guidance so I introduced myself. I remember a magical performance where he featured
a toy piano. He turned me on to Krzysztof Penderecki and I could never sleep again. Things have
never been the same since then.


"There are music, images and words in this place; together or apart, they aim for the same goal, evocation. Of what?... Too many answers to that question, some mine and some yours. I'm a musician by training but sometimes words and pictures come instead. To me, they all follow the same fundamental instinct and aesthetic. Art happens.

"Echoes and reflections are good things, in every sense; my debt of influences happily come from an enormous web of people, places and times. What is summoned here is up to you, through me..."

-- Steve Layton


"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." -- Henry David Thoreau, 1857

Bandcamp https://stevelayton.bandcamp.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment